Friday, November 16, 2007

The Best Gift






A year ago today, forever changed my life. A year ago today, I felt happiness like never before. The moment they laid you in my arms I instantly fell in love. When I hold you tight, I relive that moment. It has now become a movie that I play over and over in my mind. The way you nuzzled so gently and grasped my finger so tight. The way your daddy looked at me and was so proud of you.

Your foot was the length of my thumb. Your fingers so thin and delicate. Your cheeks so plush, your eyes so eager. Who knew what you would be capable of!

Never in my life have I been so aware that I was right. I knew you weren’t as laid back as all of the nurses wanted me to believe. The moment they whisked you to the NICU my stomach hit the floor. The heat welled in my face and the lump from my throat was in my mouth. I wish that I had been stronger for you, but thankfully daddy was their to be the pillar of our family.

You were connected to so many wires and had so many procedures that it was difficult to hold you. But that couldn’t stop me. The nurses had to force me away so you could get your rest. And even then, the nurses had a special connection with you.

The light in your eyes and your sweet disposition were evident from the moment you arrived. To this day, everyone talks about how sweet you are and what a good baby you are. These are things that I know.

I don’t know what I did to be so lucky to be your mom. But I thank God everyday that I get to be a part of your life. Your eyes are a pathway to grace. You will never understand how much I love you and how full you have made my life. You will just have to take my word for it.
Gia, you are the light of my life. Here’s to you lovey. This day will be full of unlimited climbs on the dishwasher, clapping, crawling around with your shoes…..may your day be filled with everything you love and know, that November 18 is the day that God gave me the best gift…..YOU!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Aww! Allison, what a big day! Congratulations on one year of motherhood. And happy birthday, sweet Gia! I hope you have a very special time celebrating.